Tuesday 17 May 2016

Playful art journal page 11

Today a slightly different page - with a little bit more painterly look. Although it was not intended to be like this, I learned a lot with this page - especially about "how important sealing the layers" is :0)

This page started light blue - I wanted to use Faber-Castells gelatos, but I was not completely satisfied with the intensity of colors. So I dried this first layer and used Distress inks over it in two shades of violet - Seedless preserve and Wilted violet. I used "halloween" stencils and moved the page into a little bit "darker" mood. Than I painted a moon, stamped the crows etc.... The page was almost finished and everything was good as long as I decided to make a final sealing of whole page with clear gesso, because without it I was not able to achieve pure white color of the birds and feathers. Every coat of white became slightly violet after I applied it. And then it happened. Even if my brush and all layers on the page were completely dry, the violet colors of Distress inks smudged or disappeared and the covered first layer of light blue gelatos became visible again. Quite a disaster. And the white moon? There was no white anymore :0O
What happened? It emerged that gelatos, even dried, did not hold Distress inks well. It was only sit on the top of gelatos. If I would sealed gelatos first with the clear gesso or mat medium, it would be much better base for Distress inks and if I would later sealed Distress inks with e.g. microglaze, it would be even better.

So what I did with it? I left the "clear" gesso coat to dry and than started with violets and black again. Of course, It changed the background pattern of the page a bit, but the outcome was not so bad at the end. Than I stamped my crows in white and black and when the stamped images were dry, I sealed only the white part of the crows (it was not important that they become violet again, because when the sealer - mat medium - was dried, the violet color was finally and safely locked into it and was not smudgeable anymore) and repainted it again with white marker. Success :0)) And do you see the flash of genius - when I did not sealed whole page again but just the crows, so there was no danger that I will move the Distress inks again? .0)) That kind of clever ideas is usually coming when you really need to solve some problem or save something you accidentally destroyed :D

So in fact I should thank this accident for opportunity to learn something new. But to be honest, next time I would prefer things to go more smoothly and cleanly .0)

16.5.2016 Playful art journal page 11




No comments:

Post a Comment